• qHcclogo-clear-background.gif
  • Ware, Town of

    Ware, Town of

    Categories

    TOWN INFORMATION

    About Us

    The land that now makes up the Town of Ware was originally granted to John Read in 1716. He named the district ?The Manour of Peace?and established an early settlement there. As the town grew and flourished, the current name of Ware was adopted. It is believed to have its roots in the Native American word ?Nenameseck? for the weirs or fish traps that were used at the base of the falls on the Ware River. The town?s seal commemorates this fact and activity, depicting the taking of salmon from a productive spot just below the falls.


    Early settlement of the district was focused in Ware Center (located on Route 9), an area somewhat west of where the Main St. shopping district is now located. As the colonies expanded west, commercial travelers along the Bay Path found Ware to be a convenient stopping point. A vigorous service economy replete with numerous inns and taverns was soon established. By the early 18th century, attention had focused on the potential for industrial development to be powered by the abundant waters of the Ware River as it rushed over the falls near the eastern edge of town. Jabez Olmstead and Judah Marsh are named among the early industrialists who built saw and grist mills on the river and its tributaries. To Read and learn more click the globe icon to link to The Town of Ware'sd Homepage.

    Highlights

    • Ware-Hardwick Covered Bridge
    • Ware Center Meeting House
    • Clothing Mills
    • Town Pool / Park
    • Grenville Park

    Rep/Contact Info

    Veterans Agent
    • Phone: (413) 967-9635
    Planning Board
    • Phone: (413) 967-9637
    Tax Collector
    • Phone: (413) 967-9602
    Thomas Coulombe
    • Phone: (413) 967-5901
    Shawn Crevier
    • Phone: (413) 967-3571
    Board of Health
    • Phone: (413) 967-9615
    Lynn Lak
    Historical Commission
    • Phone: (413) 967-7223
    Nancy Talbot
    Town Clerk
    • Phone: (413) 967-9648 x103